Saturday 13 July 2019

Smooth Softshell Turtle at Hagerman (July 2019)

I adore turtles, but I have to admit that smooth softshells are just about the ugliest turtles ever. I mean, they're turtles and I still appreciate them, but they are not a species I want to be staring at close-ups of too often.

I had to stop and take pictures when I saw this turtle in the road. It's hard to tell from the photos, but she's huge. When I saw her shell from the car, I thought it was a hubcap that had been washed onto the road during the flooding last month. Her shell was easily 14 inches in diameter.

July is still breeding season for smooth softshells. I assume that this gal turtle's getting ready to lay some eggs. Unfortunately for her, she chose a spot in between the road and the parking area for the bird observation deck. Assuming someone didn't accidentally run her over before she finished, the eggs are unlikely to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Snow Geese - Hagerman NWR (pt. 3)