Friday 29 June 2018

Wildflowers at Hagerman (June 2018)

At the tail end of June, there's not an abundance of wildflowers blooming at Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge. What's left is mostly sunflower, coneflower, and coreopsis.

Coreopsis

Coneflower

When I was going through my pictures, I was really annoyed that my coneflower pictures were focusing at the wrong depth of vision. Then I realized that my mistake was actually a good thing. My camera was focusing on a tiny little spider. I'm not sure what kind it is – it reminds me of an orb weaver but very tiny -- but I'm glad I got a photo of it.

American Lotus (Yellow Lotus)

The waterlilies are starting to bloom, too. I think these are yellow lotus, but I'm not sure. I read somewhere that waterlily flowers sit on the surface of the water and lotus flowers are on stalks above the water, so that's what I'm basing my identification on. (Super scientific, I know!)

I'm not sure what the purplish flowers are. They're definitely a water plant. They remind me of pickerelweed.

With these photos, I saw another surprise guest. Right in the middle of the reeds, there was a great blue heron just hanging about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Snow Geese - Hagerman NWR (pt. 3)