Monday 28 May 2018

Animals at Hagerman (April 2018)

As well as being filled with birds, there are plenty of animals in Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge. They're not always as visible as the birds, but they're there. During our visit in April, we were lucky enough to see some.

River Otter

Until very recently, I didn't even know we had otters in this part of Texas. I thought that they'd been eradicated outside of a few areas in far East Texas. When I read about an otter sighting at Hagerman, I understood it to be rare. I certainly didn't expect to see one on my next visit.

I realize that the photos aren't great and they're far enough away to make you think it might be a beaver. It's not though; it's a river otter.

Note: If you zoom way in on the first picture, you can see it even has a fish in its mouth.

 

Raccoon

A bit less exciting than the river otter, but definitely closer up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Snow Geese - Hagerman NWR (pt. 3)